Common questions about Bonjesta®
Bonjesta® is a new formulation of doxylamine succinate and pyridoxine hydrochloride that is FDA-approved for the treatment of morning sickness when diet and lifestyle changes fail to adequately control symptoms.
Bonjesta®’s multilayer, extended-release tablets are designed to provide rapid and continuous relief of morning sickness symptoms throughout the day and night.
Bonjesta® is specifically indicated to treat nausea and vomiting of pregnancy, commonly known as “morning sickness”, in women whose symptoms are not adequately controlled by diet and lifestyle changes.
It is important to note that Bonjesta® has not been studied for the treatment of hyperemesis gravidarum, the most severe form of nausea and vomiting of pregnancy. Also, the safety and effectiveness of Bonjesta® have not been studied in patients under 18 years of age.
Yes. Bonjesta® is FDA-approved to treat nausea and vomiting of pregnancy when diet and lifestyle changes fail to adequately control symptoms.
Yes. Results of controlled studies have shown no increased risk to an unborn baby during pregnancy. The combination of ingredients in Bonjesta® has been prescribed for over 60 years and has been used by over 35 million women worldwide for the safe and effective treatment of morning sickness.
The most common side effect of Bonjesta® is drowsiness. That’s why you should not drive, operate heavy machinery, or do other activities that need your full attention unless your healthcare provider says that you may do so.
Yes. Bonjesta® is suitable for women with both medical and religious dietary restrictions, as it is lactose free, gluten free and tartrazine free and certified kosher, kosher for Passover and halal.
- Take one Bonjesta® tablet by mouth at bedtime.
- If your symptoms are adequately controlled the next day, continue taking only one tablet daily at bedtime.
- If your symptoms are not adequately controlled the next day, add a second daily tablet in the morning so that you are taking two tablets daily: one tablet in the morning and one tablet at bedtime.
- Do not take more than two tablets per day.
- Take Bonjesta® on an empty stomach with a glass of water.
- Take Bonjesta® tablets whole. Do not crush, chew, or break Bonjesta® tablets before swallowing. If you cannot swallow Bonjesta® tablets whole, tell your healthcare provider.
- If you take too much Bonjesta® (overdose), you may have the following symptoms:
- Dry mouth
- The pupils of your eyes become larger (dilated)
- Fast heart rate
- Muscle pain or weakness
- Sudden and severe kidney problems
If you have these symptoms and they are severe, they may lead to death. Stop taking Bonjesta® and call your healthcare provider or go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away. For more information about overdose treatment, call your poison control center at 1-800-222-1222.
Please consult your healthcare provider or pharmacist regarding what to do in the event that you vomit shortly after swallowing a Bonjesta® tablet.
Should your healthcare provider consider this to be a reaction to the medication, Duchesnay USA encourages you to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
The FDA has not studied over-the-counter products for safety or efficacy during pregnancy. In other words, it is not known if these products could pose a risk to your unborn baby or if they are at all effective at treating morning sickness.
Furthermore, none of these products offer an extended-release formulation and they do not come in the recommended dose. So you would have to guess and divide the tablets yourself.
Only Bonjesta® is approved, available and proven safe and effective for the treatment of morning sickness.
- Store Bonjesta® between 68°F to 77°F (20°C to 25°C)
- Keep Bonjesta® tablets dry, in a tightly closed container
- Safely throw away medicine that is out of date or no longer needed
Keep Bonjesta® and all medicines out of the reach of children.